Hacktoberfest Part 2 (OSD600)

Continuing my Hacktoberfest journey, I kept searching for new projects to contribute to. I did find a handful of promising prospects, such as mtgatracker, but I decided to hold off on starting on it until I could take a better look at how it works.

In the meantime, I found a small project that aimed to remake various board games, startin with Tic Tac Toe.  The issue I found was still relatively simple, but not to the point of being trivial. The task was to find places in the code where hard-coded symbols and magic numbers could be removed, thus making the code easier to maintain (and in my opinion, more readable). I wasn’t sure how hard I should be trying to do this, though. Were there cases where it is better leave as-is? Is there such thing as going overboard?

I began with the replacement suggested by the person who posted the issue. The character ‘.’ was used to represent empty squares that don’t yet hold an X or an O. I began by pulling it out and adding it in at the top of the file. I realized then that it was used in other files as well, so I had to move my defined constant elsewhere in the header file hierarchy. I tried to come up with a good name as well, so that the reading the code would flow well. That way it went from something like this:

c != '.'

to

c != EMPTY_SQUARE

I think it’s easier to figure out what the code here is trying to do this way, though it may be more difficult to see exactly how it is done (by comparing a character). With that done, I ended up replacing a few things with existing constants.

After that, I replaced a few more symbols, added a a use of an existing constant, and separated game states from -1, 0, 1 to human readable ones.

There was also a part where I thought I found a place to speed up the code (involving the ordering of conditions in an if statement. After some time, I realized that there would be no savings after all. All conditions were equally likely, so there was no exiting early by rearranging them.

Both before and after working on this issue, I tried the Tic Tac Toe game for myself. At first I thought it was broken, since it seg faulted whenever I put in my commands (separated by commas). It wasn’t until I realized that they needed to be separated by a newline instead of a comma that I got it to work properly. This could be either a failure in communicating to the user the expectation (shown as (row, column) in the instructions) or a failure in accepting a larger variety of user inputs. Either way, I may end up raising the issue myself, but only after confirming that it is one.

I submitted a Pull Request and sent it out to be judged. I still have to go back and make some changes to the pull request I made for part 1, but I may end up finishing that up later this week.

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s