Release 0.3 End (OSD600)

I have found an external open source project that I want to work more seriously for my OSD600 class. Well, I didn’t just find it. I mentioned before that I was interested in working on MTGATracker, which allows users of the online card game Magic The Gathering; Arena players to keep track of what is in their deck (and many other useful things). When I had initially looked at it, I thought it might be interesting, but I was later scared away. It looked kind of complicated and didn’t seem to have any low-hanging fruit for me to grab. Not only have I not used python in a while, but never in conjunction with other things. I don’t particularly know much about UI building either. But, after coming back to it several times during my search, I have decided to try and dive into the code and figure out how it works.

But there’s not time to familiarize myself with it yet, so I decided to do something quicker. While mulling things over, I ended up looking at one of the repositories I previously contributed documentation to, and mulled over the idea of doing some more of the same. I noticed, however, that none of the links in the README file actually worked. I expected this to be a 30-second fix I could tack onto the documentation I would later write, so I jumped in to make the quick change.

Except it wasn’t that simple. I didn’t understand how the link references worked. Even after looking it up, I still didn’t quite get it. How did it know where to send the user? Eventually I found something unhelpful that nudged a gear in my brain and gave me an a-ha moment. There was a conversion algorithm linking things together. The link targets had to be using heading markdown, and they had to be written in a specific way. Rushing to put newly tested theory into practice, I ended up breaking the entire bullet-point hierarchy too. I had to reconcile two different structures that didn’t work together, and implement that new structure throughout the entire documentation. Was it the most difficult thing in the world? Perhaps not, but I do feel like I learned a little bit more than if I just repeated the same documentation gig as last time.

 

On the Internal project front, I’m still working on DarkChatter. I’m finally kitted out with the essentials for the project (a Fedora virtual machine, since Windows comes with extra roadblocks; a USB-network card to hook into my VM; and the myriad software packages involved with advanced network wizardry).

My next task was to integrate the command line argument research I had done last time into the actual project. As I started to edit the main python script that Ryan had been fiddling with, I realized two things. First, is that it was a “test” file of sorts. ScappyTest.py need not resemble anything finally get into the final code. Therefore piggybacking onto it and inserting my bits may be a waste of time. The other thing I realized was that I didn’t have to put everything in one file. My memories of my Python are a bit foggy, but back then I didn’t know of the magic of writing maintainable code and separating unrelated content. Better to leave that world behind. I split up the command line arguments logic into one file, and the main code in another. Then I built out the overarching entry logic that determined whether our script was sending or receiving packets. The code we eventually add for that can then be slid into place.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s