Building Issues (SPO600 project)

So having selected Google’s old CityHash package as the focus of my optimization project, I had some issues with actually getting it to build out of the box. First, there were issues with configuring it. After those were solved, I had issues with my  make commands. It seemed to point out all kinds of errors C++ related errors whenever I tried to build it. But after investigating issues with versions of gcc (which didn’t end up being the problem), I found a part of the README that offered an alternative with an additional compiler flag, -msse4.2. From what I can tell, this allows for SSE instructions, which stands for Streaming SIMD Extensions. This is pretty unexpected for me, considering there is a comment in the code itself saying:

It's probably possible to create even faster has functions [...] by using SIMD instructions[.]

My guess is that either the SIMD stuff is in another part of the package, or is done by the compiler and not hard-coded. I will still take my attempts to speed it up. Now, let’s benchmark this thing.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s