Working on something bigger (OSD600)

For most of the projects I’ve chosen to work on for OSD600, I’ve contributed to relatively small projects. Now, I’m excited to say that I get to play a small role in a bigger project. Mozilla Firefox is trying to get ESLint running on its code-base in order to have a cleaner, unified style across the project. But suddenly enforcing these new rules onto a project that asks for you to have 30+GB free to clone the repo is not something that can be done instantly. Each file might theoretically need to be altered to accommodate the linting rules implemented.

Claiming a small portion of the source code, I am thus responsible for making sure the files in the /dom/tests/unit and /dom/system directories abide by these new rules. In some cases, issues can be detected and fixed automatically. In other cases, it involves making simple adjustments (one was replacing a tab with spaces), or informing eslint that they are not in fact actual problems. But several of these issues are a bit more complicated. They require rewriting a bit of code, which I am hesitant to plow through too quickly.

There is a type of rule that involves replacing all getService() calls with something like Services.console. They exist for various services, and not just console. The problem is that I need to look up how each one works, and decide what an equivalent call is and what parameters to use. I tried to fix one, and then ran ./mach test dom/system. No failed tests. Wonderful. Then, just to be sure, I commented out the entire line and ran the test again. No failed tests. What?

Running the tests on that folder doesn’t seem to be a reliable metric in checking if I successfully preserved the functionality of the line I changed. Was I running the wrong tests? Is there something I’m missing? Who knows. I’ll keep reading, and keep learning about the code I’m working on. I’ll discuss things with fellow students who are working on enabling ESLint on the other directories.

In other news, I have decided to implement continuous integration on DarkChatter as part of our internal project contribution. Not only will it prove useful in the long run (if we continue to tinker with the project after the course is over), but it will allow me to practice something I see as essential to any project I will ever work on. If time permits, I will also update the command line argument guide I made in release 0.3’s PR 1 with the additional research I did in order to complete PR 2. Hopefully by the end of this week I’ll have both this and the Mozilla stuff done so that I can focus on my last issue next week.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s